Minnesota Energy’s Byron technician Paul Wynn holds two pieces of gas line that were gnawed on - apparently by gophers - which eventually caused leaks.
Photo by Gretta Becay
By Gretta Becay
Call before you dig. 811 or 800-252-1166
The importance of that edict was brought home to the Byron firefighters at their monthly training meeting May 2 when five men from Minnesota Energy and Northern Natural Gas talked about the fire department's role in responding to reported gas leaks.
Minnesota Energy training officer Travis Curry explained that firefighters could be the first responders on the scene after someone reports that "funny, rotten egg' smell - which is caused by an odorant that is actually added to natural gas that, in itself, is colorless and odorless. Or, someone's carbon monoxide detector has gone off.
Firefighters are equipped with a tool called a combustible gas indicator - a CGI - and, he explained, can help determine when a building or area should be evacuated based on the levels of gas detected.
Read the rest of the story in the print edition of the Byron Review.